Wednesday, March 23, 2016

When Help Is On The Way


I kinda layed an egg with my chicken project.  I forgot that my life isn't arranged as it used to be.  And what's more -- it hasn't been for some time.  Not quite sure how I did this.  These funny human brains.

Our chickens need a bigger coop.  And, hopefully, one that encourages them to roost inside it at night rather than the adjacent tree.  Wouldn't it be great to build my own?!  (Imagine me checking out books from the library, scribbling out plans with a friend, searching feverishly online for a just-right coop...)  I bought some plans, had wood delivered to my friend's house, marked the wood, and she did a fantastic job cutting it all.  And covering it when it rained.  Multiple times.  She delivered the wood to my house.  (The woman deserves a prize.)  She offered to help me build it.  But -- I suspected by this time -- I was in over my head.  I had already asked too much.

In olden times, I could have pulled off the steep learning curve for this project.  But, I made a tactical error: I forgot that I don't currently have those hours available to spearhead such projects.

But, not all was lost.  Not only did my dad offer to build it while he visited, he brought his tools! While my mom and I browsed the fabric store, he had my plan book at the hardward store.  When we got home the saw had been fired up and the sawhorses were set.  For three days he reworked the plans, and this is what we ended up with.  I just love it.

You might notice that there are a couple finishing details for me. (A roof.  The wire enclosure.  Locks.) -- but those were left because I can handle those.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your ideas, too!