Thursday, September 13, 2012

In the Kitchen

Time to harvest the kohlrabi!
The kids went off to do their own thing together, quietly, happily & I chose to have my alone time in the kitchen.  (There are SO many ways to have alone time- don't let anyone tell you it must involve oodles of time, or leaving the house, or paying money for something.  It can.  But it doesn't have to.)
Quietly, happily I washed the kohlrabi.  Sam told me you peel it.


Really?  It didn't really look like it had a peel.  But I believed her, so I did it.  Oh - I began to get a feel for kohlrabi.  The outside is sort of waxy, the inside reminded me a little of the inside of broccoli stem.  Or a potato.  It smelled like raw broccoli.  I do like doing new things, learning new things.
The recipe I found sent me out to my garden again -- for parsley and chives.
This made me very happy.


I'd like to say I loved the recipe.  I didn't.  But it was okay!  And I loved all that went into the dish.
I tidied up and went down the hall to invite the kids to lunch.
Or rather, invite them to help make lunch with me.
We made a nice lunch together, with both kids doing what they could & learning a few new things, too.

1 comment:

  1. isn't it wonderful when the kids go off to do their own thing together, quietly, happily? i'm so glad you found your own happy thing to do, too.

    ReplyDelete

Share your ideas, too!