Monday, December 23, 2013

Poetry Teatime

Good morning!

A good morning, indeed.  We started it with poetry teatime.

Balance is elusive in family life, but some things are constant: 
  :: we must eat, and 
  :: there are many, many books.  
So while some things slip off my radar, our weekly poetry teatime holds firm.

I learned about the idea from friends using Brave Writer's writing programs.  We haven't tried them yet, but I love what she has to say about writing and homeschooling.  

I love the simple beauty (and genius) of this idea.  I imagine every home sees a different version of it in action.  At my house, Sela delights in setting the table -- having the opportunity to use all the dishes, linens, and tchotschke I've collected over the years.  Sometimes she and I both read; sometimes she asks me to do all the reading.  Sometimes I gather the books, sometimes the kids do.  We take turns choosing poems to read.  Sometimes we all write.  Sometimes only one of us is inspired to write.  We have as many variations as weeks we've enjoyed it.  But, one element remains the same -- it does not require pre-planning.  It can be done richly on-the-fly.  And few things make me happier than this!

Our Christmas selections this week were:
It's Christmas by Jack Prelutsky & Marylin Hafner
The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore & Douglas Gorsline
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
You Are My Miracle by Maryann Cusiano Love & Satomi Ichikawa
Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Maria Child & Christopher Manson
How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your ideas, too!