Saturday, March 31, 2012

Homemade Mancala

I heard my niece ask for an egg carton.  I heard kid busy-ness.  I heard the rattle of beads.  I'd seen masking tape show up in a number of self-initiated activities all morning.  I peeked over the counter to find this:

My niece taught Sela how to make a homemade Mancala game!


Thanks to simple construction (although brilliantly designed) & all the requisite supplies having been left scattered around the game-play, here's how they did it:



Cut off the lid of the egg carton, and
cut off each end of the lid.
Tape each lid-end to the ends of the bottom of the carton.
(I noticed the game worked a little better when the lid-end was taped on at a slant, forming more of a "well" -- the beads didn't fall out as easily.)



And you know what goes well with games?  History and geography!  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your ideas, too!